We are currently investigating claims of potential Mercury contamination to both people and property. Over decades of operation, thousands upon thousands of pounds of liquid mercury were utilized to create chlorine.
For most of the operational history of this plant, hundreds of workers have been exposed to mercury. These exposures are not only from working at the plant, but also from worker's bring contaminated clothing and materials home to their families.
Often, symptoms may take months or years to develop. These symptoms are from continuous low-dose exposures to mercury over long periods of time, as are often the case during plant operations. However, symptoms can develop almost immediately from short-term high-dose exposures. These high-dose exposures most often occur during upset conditions at the plant. These conditions often require a normally closed mercury system to be opened up.
Examples of these conditions include:
- Outages for repairs or maintenance
- Cleaning up Mercury Spills
- Washing down the cell room to collect spilled mercury in traps
- Cleaning or repairing Mercury Re-tort systems
- Cleaning out drains, ditches, and water systems
- Handling, dismantling, or cleaning scrap materials
Symptoms of Mercury exposure encompass both physical and mental ailments.
Physical Symptoms Include:
- Joint Pain
- Muscle Spasms
- Muscle Weakness
- Night perspiration
- Restless Legs
- Muscle Cramping at night
- Stumbling Loss of Balance
- Tingling, Pain, Numbness – Arms, Hands, Feet and Legs
- Loss of Coordination Hands and Legs
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Stomach Discomfort – Digestive Problems
- Rotting Teeth
- Kidney problems
- Skin Rashes /Skin lesions
- Hair Loss
- Skin Lesions
- Excessive perspiration
- Increased Salivation
- Swelling of extremities
- Vision Changes
- Increased Salivation
Mental Symptoms Include:
- Memory Loss
- Actions & threats of violence
- Personality Changes
- Cognitional Loss
- Limited Attention Span
- Attempted Suicide
Our firm has prepared the following videos to clearly demonstrate how mercury can affect the human body and cause the above conditions.
Mercury's Effects on the Human Body
Mercury's Effects the Blood Brain Barrier - Mercury is able to pass through the blood brain barrier and reach the brain. This can lead to neuropathological disorders and disease which often manifest as the symptoms listed above.
Mercury Injuries to Adults
Mercury Injuries to Children